Traveling to work, or boarding flights, trains, commuting is a weekly or daily routine for many of us. Do we make healthy choices when we are thirsty?
Hydration is essential as our bodies are made up of 80% of water, the correct hydration determines our energy levels, bringing balance to our bodies and allowing us to function at our best.
We often grab sugary drinks to quench our thirst, we tend to choose drinks with the most sugar, caffeine. Why is this bad? Caffeine and sugar dehydrates, instead of hydrating us.
- Carry a water bottle with you when traveling.
- Add berries or a slice of lemon to your water.
- Add a teaspoon of chia seeds to water, keeps you hydrated for longer.
- Avoid caffeine and energy drinks
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid stimulants
- Bottled water
- Sparking water
- Cucumber slices in your lunch box
- Watermelon in your lunch box
- Herbal teas
- Lemon slices, mint added to water
- Iced tea (without sugar)
- Chia seeds added to water
- Products containing electrolytes (without sugar)
Healthy homemade iced tea, sharing my recipe below:
Five roses, Flavored Iced tea to serve 4
- 4 Tea bags
- Handful of mint leaves
- 6 Strawberries chopped
- Ice cubes
- Boil water, add tea bags to metal or enamel jug.
- Allow to cool overnight or for 4-6 hours
- Add strawberries
- Add ice
- Add mint
- Keep refrigerated
Other options to add:
Add variations to your iced teas, add orange slices, lemon, fruit, teaspoon of honey, avoid using sugar where possible.
Looking forward to seeing your versions of iced tea, healthy options. How do you stay hydrated?
Follow me on social media:
Twitter: @neetaraga @loveartbyneeta